Advantages And Disadvantages Of Biodiesel Fuel
Compared to other alternative fuels, biodiesel fuel supports some unique features and qualities. Unlike any other alternative fuels, it has successfully passed all the health effects testing requirements, meeting the standards of the 1990 Clean Air Act Amendments. Here in this article, we will shed light on both the advantages and disadvantages of biodiesel fuels. Read on to know more.
Advantages of biodiesel fuel
• Biodiesel fuel is a renewable energy source unlike petroleum-based diesel.
• An excessive production of soybeans in the world makes it an economic way to utilize this surplus for manufacturing the Biodiesel fuel.
• One of the main biodiesel fuel advantages is that it is less polluting than petroleum diesel.
• The lack of sulfur in 100% biodiesel extends the life of catalytic converters.
• Another of the advantages of biodiesel fuel is that it can also be blended with other energy resources and oil.
• Biodiesel fuel can also be used in existing oil heating systems and diesel engines without making any alterations.
• It can also be distributed through existing diesel fuel pumps, which is another biodiesel fuel advantage over other alternative fuels.
• The lubricating property of the biodiesel may lengthen the lifetime of engines.
Disadvantages of biodiesel fuel
• At present, Biodiesel fuel is bout one and a half times more expensive than petroleum diesel fuel.
• It requires energy to produce biodiesel fuel from soy crops, plaus there is the energy of sowing, fertilizing and harvesting.
• Another biodiesel fuel disadvantage is that it can harm rubber hoses in some engines.
• As Biodiesel cleans the dirt from the engine, this dirt can then get collected in the fuel filter, thus clogging it. So, filters have to be changed after the first several hours of biodiesel use.
• Biodiesel fuel distribution infrastructure needs improvement, which is another of the biodiesel fuel disadvantages.
We hope you found the above article on biodiesel fuel advantages and disadvantages both informative and useful.